Campus Aid Programs

The U.S federal government offers various forms of financial aid to help college students pay for their education costs.  In fact, there are even some programs that are available right on your school’s campus.   These campus aid programs make applying for financial aid, receiving it and paying off your loans considerably easier because it is all administered right in the financial aid office of your college campus.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), and Federal Perkins Loan programs are three of these campus aid programs available to students at most U.S schools. How much aid you receive from each of these programs depends on your financial need, on the amount of other aid you receive, and on the availability of funds at your college.

The federal government provides a set amount of funds for each participating school to administer each year in each of the three campus aid programs. Since this is a set amount of money it is generally awarded on a first come first serve basis.  So, make sure you apply for your campus student aid as early as you can, because once the money for a program is all used up, no more funds can be allotted from that program for that year. Each school sets its own deadlines for campus-based funds, and those deadlines are usually earlier than the Department of Education’s deadline for filing a FAFSA.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is available to undergraduate students that come from low income families demonstrating financial need.  And this is money that does not have to be paid back. If you’re eligible, your school will credit your account, pay you directly (usually by check), or combine these methods. Your school must pay you at least once per term.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages work related to the recipient’s course of study.  So if you are studying to be a veterinarian, you will likely get a part time job working at a local vet or animal hospital.  These jobs are paid by the hour and you will make at least the current minimum wage if not more.  But keep in mind that the amount you earn can’t exceed your total FWS award. When assigning work hours, your employer or financial aid administrator will consider your award amount, your class schedule, and your academic progress, much like an internship administrator would do.

And the third campus aid program is the Federal Perkins Loan.  This is a low-interest loan for both undergraduate and graduate students also demonstrating financial need. Federal Perkins Loans are made through a school’s financial aid office, where your school is your lender, and the loan is made with government funds. You must repay this loan to your school.

Apply For Government Grants

Start your application for a free grant package by answering the question below. Non US Citizens are also eligible to apply for grants.

Are you a US Citizen?